Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Construction Begins

With a garage full of lumber and drywall I was eager to start putting everything back together.  To start I planned on replacing the hideous built in closets in the kids rooms with an actual closet.  Nothing fancy just rip everything out and put up a new wall to close in the alcove that was left behind with bi-fold doors. 

Here is a look at what the closets in both bedrooms used to look like...


The one pictured here had a door on the right with shallow shelves as that side of the closet has half of the backside of the chimney coming out into it.  Here is what I came up with to deal with the chimney.


With everything out you can now see the chimney to the right and my solution was to create a built in entertainment center.  It's hard to tell in this picture, but the upper portion is wired for cable, network, and an outlet.  The lower portion is left open with about 16" of depth between the wall and the chimney for built in shelving.  I left one large opening 72" wide across the front of the closet for the bi-fold doors.

The closet in the other room had a vent in the ceter of it so for that one I went with 2 36" openings for the bi-fold doors like this (sorry for the smudge I have a few pics in a row with that I must not have noticed at the time):


I'm still a few posts away from getting to the drywall, but here what it looked like with drywall.


I couldn't find a pic of the other closet with drywall, but I don't think anyone will struggle to picture what it looks like.  Overall I was happy with the finished product, especially since I have to admit these were the first walls I had ever built. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover